The Foreword, Preface and Introduction
One Key Quote:
“The story you live in is the story you live out.”
Foreword by Pete Greig – assures us that the writer is passionately and courageously living out this Story he lives in and is encouraging us all to live in; and that it is a timely message in the light of what God is doing in our time.
Preface – the writer, Pete Hughes, shares his sense of call to ‘proclaim afresh in each generation’ the greatest story ever told. He encourages and challenges us: if we want to rewrite the stories of our communities we need to know and tell the Story of God’s mission to make all things new.
Introduction – using illustrative stories from the planting and growing of their own church in London and from a mission trip to Uganda, PH explains why he believes commitment to the renewal of culture must begin by immersing ourselves in the story of Scripture. This is because ‘the story you live in is the story you live out.’ And because the Story of Scripture is not about escaping to heaven but about the renewing and the restoring of the earth, of making all things new. God invites us into this Story.
Reflect and Discuss:
- What hopes and expectations does this opening to the book stir in you?
- What do you think it might mean to ‘live in’ the Story of Scripture?
- Can you think of any ways you and others have been involved in ‘living out’ the Story of Scripture?
- What difference does it make if the Story is not about escaping to heaven but about seeing the renewal and restoration of the earth?
- Commit to reading and reflecting on this book and discussing it with others
- Recommit to reading Scripture regularly if you have let this slip
Read Part 1, Chapters 1 and 2 over the next week. If you are a fast reader, read them twice, and explore them – highlight, and annotate them. Some may find some of his exploration of different ancient creation stories a little challenging, but stick with it: the points he is bringing out of them are important.
There is a PDF version of this Discussion Guide here.